Sunday, February 22, 2015

Mobile Devices in the Classroom

Although I believe that using mobile devices in the classroom is risky, I can see the benefits of it. I'm not sure that I will personally include them in my classroom for any smart board-response apps but I could see myself finding an app that my students can use that's related to English education (vocabulary, quizzes from the readings that we've done, etc).

The first article I looked at was a news article from US News.
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2011/10/26/teachers-use-cell-phones-in-the-classroom

The article discusses the cell-phone bans in school districts and how some teachers have found basic uses for cell-phones in their classrooms. The article provides differing options on the use - showing the pros and cons but overall they seem to have a positive outlook on their use.

The second article I found was from Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/09/25/why-a-leading-professor-of-new-media-just-banned-technology-use-in-class/

The article/ video focuses on how humans can't multitask and how technology has made multitasking so common. They did studies to see how well people perform while multitasking and found that most people did poorly when they had a distraction during the study. A teacher explains the negative effects that multitasking and technology have in the classroom and his decision to ban it.

No comments:

Post a Comment